Renters Rights and Protective Orders
In cases of domestic violence, illegal sexual behavior, and stalking, a landlord:
- Cannot include a penalty in the lease against a renter:
- For calling the police.
- For calling any other emergency assistance.
- Must allow a renter to break a lease if:
- The request is made in writing;
- The renter feels that they, or their children, are in imminent danger; and
- The renter must include one of the following:
- A Police report that was written within the past 60 days;
- An active Protective Order; or
- A written report from a medical professional who examined or talked with the victim.
- The renter may still have to pay 1 month's rent within 90 days after leaving.