in collaboration with the Colorado Supreme Court

Responding to a Custody Case

1st - Know the Terms

  • Petitioner - The person who started the case. That's your child's other parent.
  • Respondent - The person who responds to the case. That's you.
  • Allocation of Parental Responsibilities (APR) - The formal name for a custody case. 
  • Serve/Service - Deliver or mail a copy of the paperwork to the other parent.

2nd - Do the Paperwork

Forms Kit

  • A packet with all the forms.

Individual Forms

  1. Response - JDF 1420
  2. Fee Waiver Request - JDF 205 & 206

Learn More: Filling out Court Forms.

3rd - File the Paperwork

What do I Pay?

  • $116 Starting Fees. Or,
    • Request Fee Waiver - JDF 205 & 206.
    • Note - Fees cannot be waived if E-Filing.
  • Per-Filing Fee
    • For electronic filings only.
    • $6 Convenience Fee.
    • $7.50+ Service Fee.

Give to the Court

  • By Mail
    • Pay by check.
    • Court's address on summons.
  • By Delivery
    • Pay with cash, check, or card. 
    • Check your Court for card types accepted.
  • By E-Filing
    • Set up an account.
    • In some counties starting April 2019.
    • Pay by card.
    • You cannot waive fees if filing electronically.

4th - Serve the Petitioner

Give the Petitioner a copy by:

  • Regular Mail
    • To the last known address. Or,
  • E-Service
    • Done if paperwork submitted by E-Filing.

Next Steps


I'm confused or stuck, and I want additional materials or resources.

I Need More Information

Have a question about a specific legal topic?

Click on the below button to access information, forms, and instructions on specific legal issues, such as how to sue in small claims court, file for divorce, etc.

Go to topics

Need to talk to a person?

Sometimes there is no substitute for contacting a live person. Quickly locate courts, self-help centers, legal aid services, legal assistance clinics, legal information events, and public libraries.

Contact Options