Responding to a Custody Case
1st - Know the Terms
- Petitioner - The person who started the case. That's your child's other parent.
- Respondent - The person who responds to the case. That's you.
- Allocation of Parental Responsibilities (APR) - The formal name for a custody case.
- Serve/Service - Deliver or mail a copy of the paperwork to the other parent.
2nd - Do the Paperwork
- A packet with all the forms.
- Response - JDF 1420
- Fee Waiver Request - JDF 205 & 206
Learn More: Filling out Court Forms.
3rd - File the Paperwork
What do I Pay?
- $116 Starting Fees. Or,
- Per-Filing Fee
- For electronic filings only.
- $6 Convenience Fee.
- $7.50+ Service Fee.
Give to the Court
- By Mail
- Pay by check.
- Court's address on summons.
- By Delivery
- Pay with cash, check, or card.
- Check your Court for card types accepted.
- By E-Filing
- Set up an account.
- In some counties starting April 2019.
- Pay by card.
- You cannot waive fees if filing electronically.
4th - Serve the Petitioner
Give the Petitioner a copy by:
I'm confused or stuck, and I want additional materials or resources.I Need More Information
Have a question about a specific legal topic?
Click on the below button to access information, forms, and instructions on specific legal issues, such as how to sue in small claims court, file for divorce, etc.Go to topics
Need to talk to a person?
Sometimes there is no substitute for contacting a live person. Quickly locate courts, self-help centers, legal aid services, legal assistance clinics, legal information events, and public libraries.Contact Options