in collaboration with the Colorado Supreme Court

Starting a Custody Case

1st - Do the Paperwork

Forms Kit 

  • A packet with all the forms.

Individual Forms

  1. Case Information Sheet - JDF 1000
  2. Petition for Custody - JDF 1413 & 1422
  3. Summons for a Response - JDF 1414
  4. Return of Service - JDF 1414(b)
  5. Waiver of Service - JDF 1414(a)
  6. Fee Waiver Request - JDF 205 & 206

Learn More: Filling out Court Forms.

2nd - File the Paperwork

File Where?

  • File in the District Court. 
    • There is a District Court in each county. 
  • File in the county where:

File What?

What do I Pay?

  • $220 Starting Fee. Or,
    • File Motion to Waive Fees - JDF 205 & 206.
    • Note - Fees cannot be waived if E-Filing.
  • Per-Filing Fee
    • For electronic filings only.
    • $6 Convenience Fee.
    • $7.50+ Service Fee.

How do I File?

  • By Mail
    • Pay by check.
  • By Delivery
    • Pay with cash, check, or card. 
    • Check your Court for card types accepted.
  • By E-Filing
    • Set up an account.
    • In some counties starting April 2019.
    • Pay by card.
    • You cannot waive fees if filing electronically.

3rd - Serve Respondent

Skip this step if you are filing jointly.

Learn More: Personal Service - A How-to Guide.

4th - File the Return of Service

Skip this step if you are filing jointly.

Next Steps:


I'm confused or stuck, and I want additional materials or resources.

I Need More Information

Have a question about a specific legal topic?

Click on the below button to access information, forms, and instructions on specific legal issues, such as how to sue in small claims court, file for divorce, etc.

Go to topics

Need to talk to a person?

Sometimes there is no substitute for contacting a live person. Quickly locate courts, self-help centers, legal aid services, legal assistance clinics, legal information events, and public libraries.

Contact Options