1st - What is the Case Caption?
- This is the information found in the boxes on the first page of every form.
2nd - What court box do I Check?
- If you are filing a new case, you may check the "County Court" box.
- If you are filing into an existing family matters case, check the "District Court" box.
3rd - What is the Court's Address?
- If you a filing into an existing case, use the same court address as before.
- If this is a new case, you may file the case in either the county where:
- You live, or
- The events took place, or
- The restrained party lives.
- Here is a list of the courts by county and their addresses.
4th - Who is the Petitioner?
- The Petitioner is the person(s) needing to be protected.
- Enter your name in the blank.
5th - Who is the Respondent?
- The Respondent is the person(s) you want to be restrained.
- Enter their name in the blank.
6th - What information goes into the "Attorney or Party Without Attorney" box?
- Enter the name of the person who filled out the form.
- Only enter your the address in this section if you are ok with the restrained party having this information.
7th - What Case Number Do I Use?
- If this is a new case, leave this section blank. You will be assigned a case number and courtroom when you file.
- If you are filing into a family matter case, enter that case number and the assigned courtroom.
8th - Do I check the box in front of Complaint or Motion in the title?
- If you are filing into an existing family matters case, check the "Motion" box.
- If this is a new case, check the "Complaint" box.